Skip to main content

5 records

About this collection

The Murray Jewelers digital collection includes three accounting ledgers from 1924-1934 and one instructional manual on inspection, disassembly, assembly, maintenance, and repair of pocket watches, wrist watches, stop watches, and message center watches.

 

The history of Murray's Jewelers in Muncie, Indiana began when James E. Murray and his family moved to Muncie in 1885. James and his wife Eva had six children, two of whom eventually joined their father in the family business.

 

In the early 1920s, James and his son Robert purchased two jewelry stores, the L. E. Fisher Jewelry Store and the Scott Jewelry Store. After these buyouts, the Murray family continued business in the Johnson Building on the corner of Walnut and Charles Streets for a total of 48 years. There were several family members who were employed at the Johnson Building including Roscoe and Robert Murray; Ruth Murray; Barbara Green; Robert Edward, Donald, and Darlene Murray; and the fourth generation of the Murray family, Todd and Steve.

 

In the 1950s, Don and Darlene became more involved in the jewelry store. In the late 1960s and into the early 1970s, Don, Steve, and Todd knew they had to secure a ground-level storefront because of the indoor mall competition within Muncie. After 87 years, a building with a ground-level window display would give Murray Jewelers their first traditional storefront.

 

In 1986, one year after the store's centennial, Steve and Todd purchased the Freund Building, and in 1990, Don sold the business to his two sons. Both Steve and Todd graduated from Bowman Technical School, a watchmaking college in Pennsylvania. Steve also attended Gem City College in Illinois, learning techniques of stone setting and goldsmithing. Todd learned techniques from the Lost Wax process of jewelry casting.

 

Since 1999, Todd's oldest son, Ryan, has been working full time as a jewelry designer and bench jeweler. James, his younger son, studied at the Gemological Institute of America and began working full time in 2001.

 

Through several generations, a few different locations, and changes in the business' focus, Murray Jewelers continues to flourish with their creative, custom jewelry and high quality craftsmanship.

 

Archives and Special CollectionsMurray's Jewelers

 

 
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK