The Muncie Chevrolet Plant Photographs collection includes images from Chevrolet-Muncie in Muncie, Indiana ranging from circa 1950 to 1980 regarding the plant's construction, expansion, machinery, transmission production, company events, and employees.
The Muncie, Indiana Chevrolet Plant began manufacturing manual transmissions for passenger cars and trucks in 1935. In 1940, the employees of Chevrolet-Muncie became a union and formed Local 499 affiliated with the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO). During the 1950s and 1960s, the company witnessed a rapid expansion and growth of operations at the plant. Several large additions and new facilities were erected to house the plant's growing product lines.
As the United States auto industry felt the effects of foreign competition and labor struggles during the late 1970s and 1980s, Chevrolet-Muncie began a long process of layoffs and facility closings. As a result of these struggles, Chevrolet-Muncie's ownership changed several times throughout the late 20th century. In 1984, the plant became part of Detroit Diesel Allison, and two years later, a part of Hydra-Matic. In 1990, General Motors combined Muncie transmission operation with Chrysler Corporation's New Process Gear creating New Venture Gear, Inc. The partnership later dissolved and the company once known as Chevrolet-Muncie closed its doors on March 31, 2006.
Archives and Special Collections