This digital collection provides online access to a selection of digitized records from the Schwartz Paper Company of Muncie, Indiana ranging from circa 1921 to 1993. The collection includes Board of Directors meeting minutes; memoranda and correspondence; financial statements and sales statistics; agreements and contracts; abstracts of title, architectural plans, building photographs, and other property records; paper product advertisements and buyers guides; and other records documenting the business and administrative operations of the company under the leadership of Martin D. Schwartz and Helen B. Schwartz.
Schwartz Paper Company, Inc. was established in 1921 in Muncie, Indiana by Martin Schwartz’s parents, Leo and Anna Schwartz. In the early 1950s, the company expanded its operations to a property located near S. Tillotson Avenue along the White River (formerly the Ball Brothers Company Westside Paper Mill). The original headquarters located at 628 S. Walnut Street continued to be used as storage warehouse until the 1970s. After graduating from Harvard University in 1939, Martin Schwartz retuned to Muncie to take over for his father as president of the company, a position he held until his retirement in 1985. Martin’s wife Helen Schwartz served as the company’s vice president throughout his tenure as president. Schwartz Paper Company was sold to Jordan Paper Products, Inc. of Muncie circa 1994.
The Schwartz Paper Company records are part of the Martin D. Schwartz Papers available in the Ball State University Archives and Special Collections.