The Schenley Distillery Architectural Drawings digital collection consists of 207 architectural drawings for alcoholic beverage distillation and fermentation facilities operated by Schenley Distillers Corporation and its various subsidiaries (listed below) in Lawrenceburg and Greendale, Indiana between 1934 and 1951. The plans were drawn by draftsman Frank C. Hall and include original drawings and printed reproductions. Some of the plans have been annotated in pencil to identify office copies and versions that were considered void.
Clifton Springs Distilling Company
Distilling Company of America
Gibson Distilling/Distillery Company
Joseph S. Finch & Company
Many, Blanc & Company, Inc.
The Old Quaker Company
Schenley Distilleries, Inc.
Three Feathers Distilling Company
The Schenley Products Company was organized in New Jersey in 1920. During the 1920s, the owner of Schenley, Lewis Rosenstiel, acquired approximately thirty distillers of whiskey and other spirits. In 1933, Schenley Distillers Corporation was created in Delaware. Later that same year, Schenley acquired the entire capital stock of Schenley Products and purchased the Squibb Distillery in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, becoming the second-largest whiskey distiller in the United States. During World War II, the Schenley plant in Lawrenceburg (operating as Schenley Laboratories, Inc.) was used to produce penicillin for the war effort. In 1949, Schenley Industries, Inc. was formed from the old Schenley Distillers Corporation. Schenley Industries was purchased by Guinness P.L.C. (United Distillers) in 1987.
Archives and Special Collections SPEC.092: Schenley Distillery architectural plans finding aid