The online collection of Johnson & Miller Architectural Records consists of 123 projects spanning the long history of the architectural firm and its subsequent firms from the 1910s to the 1980s. Over the years, Johnson & Miller and its successor firms were responsible for designing numerous schools, university buildings, government offices, religious buildings, recreation facilities, hospitals, and businesses in Terre Haute, Indiana, and the surrounding area.
MacMillan "Mac" Houston Johnson, who had studied at DePauw University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, originally opened his practice in Brazil, Indiana, in 1910. He was joined the following year by Warren D. Miller after his graduation from the architecture program at the University of Pennsylvania, and the firm then changed its name to Johnson & Miller. The partners established a second office in Terre Haute's Ball Building on Ohio Street a year later and maintained both offices until 1915. At that time they closed the Brazil branch and moved the Terre Haute branch to 105 S. Seventh Street.
Warren's brother, Ewing H. Miller, also studied architecture at the University of Pennsylvania and joined the firm in 1919 after completing military service. The firm was then known as Johnson, Miller and Miller.
Numerous fluctuations of the firm's principals were to follow in quick succession due to the untimely deaths of Mac Johnson and Ewing Miller a few months apart in 1923 and the additions of other architects. It became Johnson, Miller, Miller & Yeager (1924-29), Miller & Yeager (1930-45), Miller, Yeager & Vrydaugh (1946), Miller & Vrydaugh (1947-54), and then Miller, Vrydaugh & Miller when Ewing H. Miller's son, Ewing H. Miller II, joined the firm after also studying architecture at the University of Pennsylvania.
When Allison "Al" Vrydaugh left the firm the name became Miller, Miller & Associates (1962-65) until Warren Miller's retirement which resulted in the name Ewing Miller Associates (1966-70). Ewing Miller later started Archonics Corporation, which had offices in Fort Wayne, Terre Haute, and Indianapolis.
Drawings and Documents Archive