The Delaware County Courthouse digital collection contains architectural drawings and images related to the elegant Beaux-arts style courthouse designed by Indiana architect Brentwood S. Tolan. He and his father, T. J. Tolan, specialized in building courthouses across the Midwest.
The structure was built in 1887 and occupied a substantial block in the heart of downtown Muncie, a city that was thriving due to the discovery of natural gas in the area. The courthouse featured a clock, an impressive dome topped by a gas torch, and three statues entitled Indian, Agriculture and Industry that represented the history of the county. Utilized until Muncie city officials determined in the 1960s that a modern facility was needed, the courthouse was torn down in 1966.
Drawings and Documents Archive